Thursday, March 10, 2011

////

Thit suon ram mang (braised short ribs)



I was inspired once again. My friend Viet had posted a picture of his braised short ribs and I had to try it. It's very simple and essentially a thit kho recipe. But yeah, I don't normally eat Vietnamese food that often so it's an anomaly that I've been craving Asian food for this long.

1 lb pork short ribs (cut at each bone)
2 Tbsp fish sauce
1 Tbsp oyster sauce
1 Tbsp minced garlic
cracked pepper
[marinate 30-60 mins]

2 Tbsp sugar
[in pot on high heat, until sugar caramelizes]
[add marinated meat]

chicken broth, as needed
[add enough to cover meat]
[bring to a boil, cover, turn down heat and cook for 1-2 hours]
[uncover, bring back to boil, reduce sauce]

In this recipe, I used chicken broth since I didn't have any Coco Rico and added a little more sugar to get the sweetness I'm missing. You could probably use water instead of chicken broth. My intention was to leave it on the stove for 4 hours to get the meat really tender but I was getting too hungry. A little over an hour, the meat was already tender and fell off the bone. I reduced my sauce to intensify the flavor, so a little goes a long way. I learned my lesson with my first bowl, as my rice was drenched with the sauce... it was super salty.

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

4 Reactions to this post

Add Comment
  1. Mel said... March 10, 2011 at 11:42 PM

    I'm making Johnny make this. Good thing I have a roommate who likes to cook new things!

  2. JT said... March 11, 2011 at 8:46 AM

    Ah, a perk of having a roommate. Let me know how it turns out.

  3. Christina said... September 22, 2011 at 9:16 PM

    if I have coco Rico how much should I replace it with

  4. JT said... September 22, 2011 at 10:13 PM

    I would use enough to cover the meat, a can at the most... and cut back on the sugar (use 1 to 1 1/2 Tbsp) since the Coco Rico is already sweet.

    But know this, I am no cook so if it turns out bad.. don't blame me. It's your fault for listening to me.

Post a Comment