Sunday, May 15, 2011

////

Food truck festival

Yes! Finally food trucks are slowly popping up in Houston as this city needs to catch up with the rest of the country. We're the fourth largest city yet there are more food trucks in Minneapolis of all places. (I'm probably wrong since I have no source of reference but my point is that Houston is always behind on everything.)

This weekend we went to the Haute Wheels Food Truck Festival that featured over 20 food trucks. It was a good opportunity to try new trucks without driving all over the city to do so. Our first truck was Bernie's Burger Bus. They only offered their mini burgers at the festival, which was fine since we didn't want to be full at the first place we ate. I got the kindergartners which was a burger with bacon, bleu cheese, and grilled onions. The burger was good, thick cut bacon and juicy beef patty but the bleu cheese was a bit overpowering. I'll definitely give them another try, probably a regular sized burger without bleu cheese. We probably waited close to 45 minutes for our tiny burgers.


Bernie's Burger Bus
★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆


The next truck we tried was the H-town StrEATs truck. We went to the "shorter" line of the two trucks we wanted to try next but short was relative. It was over an hour long wait before we got our food but it paid off. As they handed us our short rib mac n cheese sandwich, they erased it from their menu. The long line of people behind us in unison went "Awwwwww!!"  They already ran out of fish tacos and an unknown erased item from the menu. In addition to the sandwich we got the Monte Cristo balls with berry jam and Froot Loops cereal creme brulee. The short rib mac n cheese sandwich was very rich. The toasted bread was very buttery. The mac n cheese was cheesy and the rib meat put it over the top. This was my favorite thing I ate in the festival. The Monte Cristo balls were a mini version of the sandwich (Lynn really liked it) and the creme brulee looked just like a regular creme brulee but it tasted like Froot Loops. It was kind of weird at first but it was pretty good.


H-Town StrEATs
★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆


The third stop was at Cut and Fry, a truck specializing in french fries. The fries were served in a cone with a variety of toppings and sauces to choose from. Being that fries were the only food being served, you would expect it to be something spectacular. I was expecting some pommes frites or something similar. Boy was I disappointed. The fries were plain and soggy. Yes, freshly made and soggy. I waited about 10 minutes for my fries (there was no line when I ordered which should have been my first clue to avoid this place) and it came out hot and limp. I got mine topped with their lemon habanero mayo, which was not overly spicy and the lemon flavor complimented it very well. Another friend got her's with the spicy mayo and truffle oil which was good. The sauces were good but the fries were lacking.


Cut and Fry
★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆


Our last food truck was Zilla Street Eats. I got the chicken and waffles which was essentially two pieces of chicken nuggets and 1/4 of a Belgium waffle. Nothing special about it. They also offered dirty fries, which had a white creamy pasta topped on french fries. We would have tried that but we had just eaten some sub-par fries.


Zilla Street Eats
★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆


There were quite a few trucks that had run out of food, which either meant their food was that good and people were eating it all up or they were ill prepared for just how many people would show up. I'd like to think the former. There were many food trucks we didn't get to try but now know what's out there. The search for great food in Houston continues...

2 Reactions to this post

Add Comment
  1. Click, Click, Caption This.... said... May 16, 2011 at 2:01 PM

    Dearest Cousin Jimmy,
    I mean this with the utmost sincerity...
    How are you not a FAT ASS???

    I am gaining weight just by reading your blogs ;-)

  2. JT said... May 16, 2011 at 6:29 PM

    But I am fat, hence the diet and exercise. I could be fatter but I keep my portions small and never over stuff myself. I call it a pseudo-diet since I'm not really giving up anything, e.g. cupcakes. I'm still eating fast food for lunch on a daily basis, but off the kids menu.

Post a Comment