Sunday, November 20, 2011

////

Warrior weekend (Austin, TX)

This past weekend we went to Austin, leaving behind all of the boys. Leaving the older two boys didn't feel any different (since they go to my parents on a weekly basis) but leaving baby for the first time was kind of sad and worrisome. But according to my mom, he was really good and there were no troubles. So why the trip to Austin? Besides the good food, our main purpose was to run the Warrior Dash.

The Warrior Dash (and other muddy/obstacle-like races) was something I always wanted to do. Being in Austin, well close to it, made me want to do it that much more. We ran on Saturday morning, which was cloudy for most part of the day but at least it wasn't cold. The entire race wasn't that bad at all. We ran the entire way, well for all the areas that we could run since it got congested at each obstacle, and finished unscathed. The best part of the race had to be when we ambushed Donson and tackled him in the first mud pit. Good times.

Left to right: Thomas, Donson, Thu, Zinc, me, Melissa, Melynda

The aftermath.

For lunch, we ate at Madam Mam's. I ordered the yellow curry and it was really good. It was probably due to the combination of being hungry after the race and deprived of good Thai food but I cleaned my bowl. No picture here. I was already done by the time that thought crossed my mind.


Afterward we went to Lisa and Mike's house for what was supposed to be a quick pit stop before going to The Domain but we ended up staying until late evening. They got us some burgers from Top Notch. The burger tasted very similar to Burger King, which is not a bad thing but it did not distinguish itself as any "special". The best part of the meal had to be the onion rings. Crispy and not too greasy. Really good.

We did eventually make it to The Domain and when we got there, it was incredibly crowded. We were literally walking shoulder-to-shoulder. Apparently that was the night of the Christmas tree lighting. The atmosphere made it feel as if we were in LA or New York. The people, the outdoor decorations, the live music... there was just a buzz about this place on this particular night. It felt crazy.


Sunday morning I ordered some tacos to-go from my all-time favorite taco place, Torchy's, and headed back home. We were ready to see baby and the boys. On the way back, we stopped at Hruska's, an unassuming store at a gas station in the middle of nowhere, for lunch since it was highly recommended. Their burger had a classic burger stand taste. It had a slightly toasted bun, patty cooked on a griddle, and it left a tiny puddle of grease when I was done (which is a good thing). But the best part of the meal (as with Top Notch) was not the burger itself, it was their cookies. Super soft and chewy. We didn't get to try anything else from the bakery but I'm sure it won't disappoint.

As for the "winning" tag/label for this blog post, I beat Zinc in our lowest body fat % bet. There was no final weigh-out done as it was deemed unnecessary on his part. I win. As a result, my entry to the Warrior Dash was paid for ($65). After lunch, my running tab with Zinc stands at: $42. Owned.

0 Reactions to this post

Add Comment

    Post a Comment