Friday, July 6, 2012

////

Fourth of July


The Fourth of July landed on the fourth day of the week, also known as the worst day for any holiday. It's in the middle of the freakin' week! Are you supposed to take Tuesday off or Thursday? Or take Thursday and Friday off and have a super extended weekend? For me, it was just one random day off. Nothing special. And with that, we really didn't do anything special for the Fourth.

It was like any other day off. I think we ran errands in the morning and maybe went to Target. My parents came over for dinner but didn't eat much of our cooking. Apparently they don't eat anything unless it's Vietnamese. It's quite sad given how long they've lived in America. Later I let the kids light some fireworks in the backyard, even though there's a ban in place. Then we drove to my parents' business where there was a fireworks show at a nearby high school. We got a good view all while avoiding the crowd. The mosquitoes were so ugh though.





3 Reactions to this post

Add Comment
  1. Jon Tran said... July 11, 2012 at 11:47 AM

    Yeah my mom's the same way...she'll eat American food but has to have her Viet/Asian food backup...if we are on trips out of town, one of the first places she has to find is an Asian eatery. I'm thinking it's a purely mental thing. What is the mentality? Good food is comforting or comforting food is good?

  2. JT said... July 11, 2012 at 10:04 PM

    I wouldn't have thought your mom of all people. Your parents are the most Americanized of the family. Interesting...

  3. Jon Tran said... July 12, 2012 at 11:31 AM

    Well she's definitely good with American food and eating out all these years (especially working downtown) but it's still seen as a departure from Vietnamese food ("the norm"). My dad eats out a lot and I think is less bound by a need to eat specifically Vietnamese as often as my mom.

Post a Comment