Wednesday, February 6, 2013

////

Baby #4?

No, we're not having another baby. No. The thought of having another baby is ridiculous. It's a life changer. We would need a bigger car to fit six people. And no, we would never ever get a minivan. We would need a bigger house. What little free time we have to ourselves would cease to exist. The answer to "Are you guys going to have another?" was an emphatic "No." Without hesitation. But just recently, I may have a change of heart.


This weekend I was cleaning out the spare room, a.k.a. the gym, of all of the baby stuff because I want to/need to work out. So there in the hallway was a pile of baby bouncers, walkers and carriers. Getting rid of them was the first thing on my mind. But then it hit me. Once all of this is gone, that's it. We'll never have another baby again. Such a permanent decision, such finality (is that even a word?)... I'm not comfortable with.

Sure, we could still have another baby and rebuy everything but ridding of all the baby things would be as close to an end as getting a vasectomy or your tubes tied.

After questioning my sanity, I thought what would need to happen for us to even consider having another kid. More importantly, why?

Reasons for baby #4:
1.  I like even numbers. Odd numbers are so... odd.
2.  The kids can pair off. Jacob and Andrew are each other's playmate. Tyson needs one too.
3.  A slim chance of having a girl. My sperm is composed of 99% Y chromosomes (male). But there's still that 1%.

Things that need to happen:
1.  Travel to Seattle and Chicago sans kids. Once a forth kid comes, traveling without kids is impossible.
2.  Get the snowboarding bug out of my system. Got to make the most of it before I get too old to physically do it.
3.  My parents need to retire. I'm going to need some help.
4.  Be completely debt free. No mortgage. No school loans. No car payments.

All of the above need to happen by the time I'm 35 years old. I wouldn't want to have a baby any older than that because I'd probably be too old and tired to keep up with him/her. So there still is a chance of having one more baby but for all of this to happen, the odds are small. But Justin Bieber sings, "Never say never~~"

5 Reactions to this post

Add Comment
  1. Julie said... February 6, 2013 at 10:26 PM

    If no baby #4, Tyson always has Reed :)

  2. Nes said... February 7, 2013 at 11:47 AM

    hey now...I'm a year and a half from being older than 35, and I'm pretty sure I won't be too old or tired to keep up with the kids (hopefully)

  3. JT said... February 7, 2013 at 3:45 PM

    Tyson needs a playmate around 24/7. If no baby #4, we'll just take Reed instead.

    Mike, I forgot to add that everyone else needs to have a third kid before we go for a forth. ;)

  4. Edwin and Lilly said... February 12, 2013 at 11:10 PM

    I would personally like to see you drive a minivan! :)

  5. Click, Click, Caption This.... said... March 28, 2013 at 5:31 PM

    You and Anh Vinh & Chi La said no minivans and so far they have kepted their word. Remember when you had two, then three became better, imagine what four would be like...said, the woman with no children...hahaha, Whatever you decide, I'm sure you know best ;-)

Post a Comment