Tuesday, April 10, 2018

////

Houston SeaPerch Regionals

Last weekend Jacob and his team competed at the SeaPerch regional competition. SeaPerch is an innovative underwater robotics program that equips teachers and students with the resources they need to build an underwater Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) in an in-school or out-of-school setting. This is only his second year of doing a robotics program, his first time being three years ago in elementary school where they did pretty well. Regionals had around a hundred teams from all over the area and only four spots would be given to teams to advance on to the national international competition.

Based on odds alone, it didn't seem likely that they would move on. But what do I know. I barely know anything about SeaPerch... the building, planning, testing, presentation, etc. The other parents are totally hands on... borderline hardcore. It was pretty intense (for them).

Just waiting in the gym for the results...

I didn't understand the magnitude so when it was announced that Jacob's team was one of the very select few that would advance to Nationals, my reaction wasn't all that enthusiastic. Initially it was confusion since I didn't even know their team name! "Is that Jacob's team??" Then it was brief disappointment since that meant our day wasn't over yet and I was ready to go home. Then I immediately thought of the logistics of traveling to Boston, where Nationals will be held. I thought, "Hmmm... I guess now I know where we're going for our family summer trip."

Team Hydro Gears will be moving on to the 2018 International SeaPerch Challenge.

But the more I thought about it, the more I realize how awesome this was. Such a great achievement. All of their hard work paid off. Alright then, let's go to Boston and win this thing!

0 Reactions to this post

Add Comment

    Post a Comment