Wednesday, July 17, 2024

////

Family reunion

The Tran family.

This past weekend we had a family reunion for my mom's side of the family. She’s one of eight kids, and each kid (my aunt/uncle) had their own kids so that’s a lot of us. Every family get-together would be a huge gathering. But ever since grandma passed away, we haven’t really gotten together like this. Thanks to the initiative of cousin Lilly and the help of others, we got together once again. 

I’ve always wanted a big family when I was younger. Even though I have an older brother, I’ve always felt like an only child. Our relationship is non-existent but that’s a story on its own. I was envious of others who had siblings. I remember my aunt would ask me (in front of my mom) if I wanted another brother or sister. Naive me would excitedly reply, “Yes!” as if my answer had the power to produce another human being. It’s a shame my parents didn’t have one more kid because I would’ve been a great big brother. We would’ve been best buds, guaranteed. 

But I never really felt alone. I had my cousins, all thirty of us. And for most of my early childhood, everyone lived close by. My cousins were essentially my brothers and sisters, my best friends. So many memories were made and even today, I still have strong connections with many of them. I’ll never forget what Chi Tram told me when I visited her several years ago, “We’re not family, but we’re family.” I will forever be grateful for my big family. 

So when I became an adult, I wanted my own big family… to give my kids what I always wanted when I was young, siblings. Fast forward to today, we have four wonderful (for the most part) kids. 

But I digress, we had families come from all over… from different cities, different states, and even different countries. And we were still missing quite a few families who couldn’t make it but were with us in spirit. One day in one room, for twelve hours. New connections were made and others reconnected. So much fun and laughter. So much love. 🫶

Our hosts for the day: Jon, Lilly, and Chi Trang.

Family Feud action.

Tyson vs Mel

Anh Vien vs Lynn

My aunt's family (Bac Mai) with her nine kids, who had their own kids.

Introducing my family... for those who just met us for the first time.

Time for charades.

Even Elliot got in the mix.

Their team actually won first.

Special presentation about Bac Khoi (grandma's second child) who died during the Vietnam War.

He was awarded with the Silver Star Medal, the US third highest military decoration for valor in combat.

Karaoke time.

DJ Zinc.

Saying our goodbyes.

0 Reactions to this post

Add Comment

    Post a Comment