Tuesday, October 13, 2015

////

#MeltdownTown

What if I told you the Astros had a 2-1 lead in a best of 5 series and are up by 4 scores at the start of the 8th inning (6-2). They're only 6 outs away from advancing to the American League Championship Series (ALCS). The bats of the Astros have been red hot and the Royals can't seem to generate any offense. It's a done deal right? Or so I thought...


The kids had Monday off for Columbus Day so I decided to take the two big boys to Game 4 of the ALDS. Needing to win only one more game to closeout the series, I thought it would be pretty awesome if we could be a part of that moment. And it was a sure thing from the game that we saw. I say "saw" because we left early.

Sitting in the nosebleed section.

At the end of the 7th inning, the boys had to go pee (badly). So we left our seats and the boys did their business. Afterward I asked them, "Do you guys just want to go home? The game is pretty much over. We're up by 4 and there are only two innings left." I said this with such confidence. I wanted to avoid the crowd. I didn't want to get stuck in rush hour traffic. The boys agreed with me so we left.

By the time we actually walk out of Minute Maid Park, the Royals had players on base. Eh, no big deal I thought. As we were walking back to the car, I check my cell phone and it's now 6-3 and no outs. Uh oh. When we get to the parking garage, a guy asked, "You guys went to the game? You know the score is tied now 6-6." No, I didn't know. As we were driving home, I had the game on the radio and now they're up 6-7. Holy shit. And by the time we got home, the game had ended with the Astros losing 6-9. Unbelievable.

The crowd going wild during one of the four home runs.

The boys going nuts with the rally towels.

If I was the superstitious type, I would've said the cause of the Astros' meltdown was because we left our seats. I'm a little glad we left early since it would have been so depressing to witness such a monumental collapse.

We're home and soon they will wake up to some devastating news.

2 Reactions to this post

Add Comment
  1. Michael Tran said... October 14, 2015 at 12:10 AM

    Bad day yesterday and it bought back old feeling when Lidge gave up that monster home run to Pujols in the Game 5 NLCS in 2005. Nevermind the game, the boys will have great memories when Dad brought them to a playoff game!

  2. JT said... October 15, 2015 at 8:25 AM

    That home run was devastating. Lidge was never the same after that. It sucks that the ALDS series ended the way they did, I was hoping for an all Texas ALCS.

Post a Comment