Thursday, August 2, 2012

////

Chick-fil-A sandwich #2



Recently Chick-Fil-A has been all over the news when their CEO made anti-gay marriage remarks. And with all that publicity, albeit negative, it actually got me craving a chicken sandwich. But yesterday was "Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day" which essentially translates to "Eat here if you are against same sex marriage day". Dammit. So I went to Plan B, make my own Chick-Fil-A-ish sandwich.

I had previously tried making this but failed as it turned out way too salty. After further research, I came up with this recipe.

Brine:
4 c. water
1/4 c. table salt
1/4 c. sugar
3-4 chicken breast filets
[let sit for 1-2 hours]

Wet:
1 egg
1/2 c. milk

Dry:
1 c. AP flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

1. Remove the chicken from the brine.
2. Dip chicken in the wet mixture, then the dry and dust off the excess.
3. Repeat step 2 is you want a slightly thicker crust. (I did.)
4. Fry in peanut oil at 350F for about 4 minutes per side.
5. Butter a skillet or pan and toast some buns.
6. Put the meat between the buns and eat. Condiments not required.


This was much better than the first attempt. It was not overly salty. I omitted the salt from the dry mixture and only left the chicken in the brine for a couple hours (instead of overnight). The chicken was really moist too. As I was cutting it into strips for the boys, juice literally squirted out. This recipe is a keeper.

3 Reactions to this post

Add Comment
  1. Jon Tran said... August 3, 2012 at 2:12 PM

    Eh, I wouldn't care even if you were actually anti-gay, Jimmy.

    Just shut up and make me THAT chicken sandwich.

  2. Click, Click, Caption This.... said... August 3, 2012 at 3:45 PM

    Dear Cousin Jimmy,
    You are the reason why I am still fat.
    (just go with it)

    Sincerely,
    Thu

  3. JT said... August 7, 2012 at 2:37 PM

    That's my super power, making people fat... myself included.

Post a Comment