Thursday, April 11, 2013

////

A toddler of many words

Tyson just turned 20-months-old and his vocabulary has been growing exponentially. I meant to document this when he turned one and a half (18 months) but I forgot, had no time, never put out much effort until now. I'm not a fan of telling someone your child's age by months after they've turned one. If asked, I'll tell people Tyson is one or now, one and a half years old. In a couple months, he'll be "almost two". Once someone told me their kid was 26 months old. I was stupefied. Initially I didn't say anything but my facial reaction said it all. As if someone had just cut open some durian, my face was of pure disgust. After a long, silent five seconds later, I rhetorically asked, "You mean two?"

But I digress, Tyson says a lot and here's a list.

Vietnamese words:
banh (sweets/dessert)
thay ta (diaper change)
nong (hot)
dau dau (hurt his head)
mau (blood)
uong (drink)
do (spilt)
chan (blanket)
cat di (put up/clean up)
giay (shoes)
di tam (bath time)
ngoai (outside)
cam (orange)
bac (my brother)
ciao Papa (greeting)
bo (put in)
muon an (wants to eat)

English:
yummy
bye!
no
mine
Papa
Mama
juice
pebbles (Fruity Pebbles)
cheese
doggy
Wubbzy (Wow Wow Wubbzy)
Mickey (Mickey Mouse)
Oh Tootles (from Mickey's Clubhouse)
yay!
baby
buckle
I'm done
please
TV
Mario (Mario Wii game)
moon
more

I'm sure I'm missing a few words and phrases from the lists but it's 17 Vietnamese to 22 English words. It's close to 50/50, which is not bad considering how much English is spoken in the house. Funny but I find myself speaking only Vietnamese to Tyson but English to the two older boys. Ideally I'd like to speak strictly Vietnamese at home but sadly my vocabulary is horrible.

2 Reactions to this post

Add Comment
  1. Julie said... April 12, 2013 at 9:41 AM

    He can also say Reed :) I've been working with ty on Bac Julie..you sure Bac is Bac Tony and not Bac Julie?? :)

  2. JT said... April 12, 2013 at 3:32 PM

    Yeah, Tyson will call out for him. He'll also point to his car and say "bac".

Post a Comment