Tuesday, August 9, 2011

////

Another birthday

After turning the big 3-oh, I imagine any subsequent birthday is just like any other day. There's nothing monumental about turning 31. It's just a number at this point. What's more important is how you feel. Today, I feel like I'm at my healthiest, my prime. And according to RealAge.com, I'm younger than I actually am.


I took the day off work so that I can spend my day with my favorite people, my family. It started out with breakfast at IHOP where I cashed in on a free Rooty Tooty Fresh 'N Fruity breakfast. There's a whole webpage dedicated to birthday freebies. I don't know if it was because the meal was free or I've been deprived of pancakes for so long (or a combination of both) but it was really good.

I didn't care for the eggs, sausage or bacon.

Afterward we went to Borders on Kirby. It's sad to see them going out of business. It's fun hanging out at a big bookstore but if no one actually buys the books, I can see why the stores are closing. I'm guilty of that too. Why buy books at full price when it's cheaper online, even cheaper used, and nowadays you can get the digital form and do away with actual books. I ♥ Kindle. But yeah, I hope Barnes and Noble doesn't follow Border's fate or I'll be devastated. I actually bought a book from them last week, Bob Barker's book Priceless Memories for $1.50. Any little bit helps right? I was going to buy a book at Borders but even with the store clearance, it was still cheaper to buy it online. Terrible. I think we spent a solid hour there yet the store didn't make a dime off of us.

Most of their time was spent here.

We had lunch at Star Pizza. It's been awhile since I last been there but it wasn't as good this time around. I'll put a restaurant review in a separate post (along with future eateries). All that I'll say for now is this place loves to pile on the cheese, which is especially bad if you're lactose intolerant. I will not confirm or deny if I have this sad disability.

The (greasy) aftermath.

After stuffing our face with greasy pizza, it was off to Yogurtland for dessert. Always good. Never a disappointment. Then it was time to go back home. It was just too damn hot (100 degrees) to go anywhere else.

I can't stand my window's peak.

So the kids took their nap and I worked out in my pseudo-gym (our extra bedroom). I walked out to find Lynn frosting my "surprise" birthday cake. Oops. There goes the surprise. But what kind of cake was it? That was still a mystery... but not for long. As we were eating dinner, Jacob points at the cake and asks, "Is that the carrot cake?" I laughed at him and said, "I guess it is." Thanks Jacob for spilling the beans. Andrew tried to save his brother and said, "Noooo. It's strawberry cake!" Nice try buddy. It was indeed a carrot cake, homemade by my talented wife, and it was delicious.

3 Reactions to this post

Add Comment
  1. Mel said... August 10, 2011 at 8:13 AM

    Aww, cute of Andrew to try and save it! Sounds like a great birthday! :)

  2. Edwin and Lilly said... August 11, 2011 at 10:36 PM

    Happy Birthday cuz! I agree with Mel, sounds like you had a great birthday! :) And the cake looks yummy!

  3. tram said... August 15, 2011 at 12:40 AM

    I want some of that! I love the simplicity of it! Will steal the banner idea. Happy Birthday!!

Post a Comment