Friday, April 6, 2012

////

TGIGF

Thank Goodness It's Good Friday. This is the last day of the year to abstain from meat and normally this is not an issue for me but last week, work forced me to the middle of nowhere (San Augustine, TX) and I was ill prepared. My plan was to drive around and stop by any fast food place to get their designated fish sandwich, also known as the Lent special. I was even willing to settle for the dreaded Filet-O-Fish but there was no McDonald's around. I used the Yelp app from my phone and the closest one was in another city, some 20 miles away. Now what?

I had considered working through without eating a lunch but as 1:30 pm approached, I got some crazy hunger pangs (not pain). Not surprising since I usually eat lunch early, like around 11 am. I spotted a gas station across the street (pictured above from Google maps) and there was a sign that read "Deli". I thought at least I could get "real" food instead of the granola bars I have been snacking on. They had various foods, all pre-made and sitting under heat lamps. It didn't look fresh or appetizing but I was desperate. I scanned their selection over and over, looking for the best meatless option available and it was between the fried fish or fried shrimp. I chose the shrimp.

"Oh, you're not from around here are you?" the cashier asked.

"No." I replied but thought what gave it away? Was it because of the way I was dressed? Was it because I was Asian? Or was it because I was the first person in a decade to buy their fried shrimp?

In my head I questioned if it was even real shrimp. They were abnormally small. The quality and taste were exactly what you would expect from a gas station. Needless to say, I did not finish it. I ate just enough to hold off my starvation and packed the rest to go.


To be honest, I'm not even a good Catholic. I can count the number of times I've been to church this year on one hand... that has no fingers. But when it comes to Lent and abstaining from meat (and the other things you are willing to give up), I follow it all the way. It's probably because it doesn't take actual time to give anything up, just dedication. Time is hard to come by with three active and crazy boys. But this will improve, in time.


On a side note, my lovely wife devoured the left over fried shrimp I brought home. I'm glad someone enjoyed it.

2 Reactions to this post

Add Comment
  1. lynn said... April 6, 2012 at 7:14 PM

    Just like you, she was desperately hungry.

  2. Edwin and Lilly said... April 6, 2012 at 10:40 PM

    Hilarious! Loved the pic of the gas station and your "not-so-gourmet" meal.

Post a Comment