Wednesday, September 16, 2026

////

Pickleball tourney

I played in my first pickleball tournament, but it was just for funsies. It was held at the Viet Culture Fest; not at a proper pickleball venue. We played on the concrete floor with taped yellow lines. There were multiple activities going on simultaneously, which were loud and distracting, e.g. banging drums and cymbals. It was not ideal but everyone had to deal with it too. 

Our "courts" 😅

The loud festivities.

My partner, Anh Vien.

There were 14 teams in our division (but one didn't show up). During pool play, we went undefeated. Game 1 (11-0), game 2 (11-0), game 3 (11-9), game 4 (no show). We were one of the top four teams to move on to the playoff bracket.

But we ended up playing the best team first. Even though we probably would've lost to them anyhow, I just could not see the ball very well once we switched to another set of "courts". Was it the lack of contrast? Was it the glare off the floor? Was it the lighter concrete color? It was something but I struggled to track the ball. That frustration had me in a mental downward spiral. We lost 15-5. Then we played for third place but unfortunately on the same "court" and we lost once again. I sold. 😑

Drowning my sorrows in sweets (Common Bond).

And coffee.

0 Reactions to this post

Add Comment

    Post a Comment