Wednesday, September 28, 2011

////

Mongolian beef



The sauce:
2 tsp veg oil
1 Tbsp garlic
[cook over medium heat]
[add the following before garlic scorches]
1/4 c. soy sauce
1/4 c. water
1/2 c. brown sugar
[boil 2-3 mins, then remove from heat]
add cornstarch slurry to thicken (corn starch + water)

The meat:
1 lb flank steak, sliced
[dust with cornstarch and let sit for 10 mins]
[heat pan with 1" oil, high but not smoking]
[fry meat. 2-3 mins]
[remove and drain]

1. add fried beef and sauce
2. cook for a minute
3. add chopped green onions*
4. cook for a minute
5. serve with your choice of rice

*I forgot to add the green onions as seen in the picture. It would have looked more appealing if I had some. I ate this with brown rice and with this sauce, you can't even taste it... the rice that is. This recipe can be used for whatever protein you have available. Cook up some chicken and toss it in the sauce, it'll be just as good.

3 Reactions to this post

Add Comment
  1. Michael Tran said... September 28, 2011 at 9:44 PM

    You forgot to rate it Jimmy! 4 stars? BTW, I just ordered this from Pei Wei today! I'm sure yours was better but I was easier :)

  2. JT said... September 28, 2011 at 11:17 PM

    I totally forgot about rating my recipes. I'd give it 4 of 5 stars. Personally, I like the sweet and soy sauce-y sauces.

    Funny you should mention Pei Wei because that's where my inspiration came from, down to the brown rice. They mistakenly gave us brown rice (on our order of Mongolian beef) and it turns out, it's not bad at all. And it's good for you! The trick is knowing how to cook it right.

  3. Edwin and Lilly said... September 29, 2011 at 9:08 PM

    Yo cuz! Thanks for the little message...haha. you are right, I need to update more. For now, I'll just live life and eat vicariously through your blog. =) By the way...the Mongolian beef looks delicious!
    --Lilly :)

Post a Comment