Thursday, September 8, 2011

////

(Fantasy) football begins!

Football season officially begins but more importantly, fantasy season starts. My favorite time of year. For those that don't know and/or have already judged me, wikipedia defines fantasy football as "a competition in which participants select imaginary teams from among the players in a league and score points according to the actual performance of their players." It has nothing to do with wizards, elves, or ogres, although I wouldn't be opposed to that either.

Fantasy football (or basketball, baseball, etc.) makes the games more interesting to watch and gets you more involved in the sport. To be competitive, you have to keep up with the entire league. You may have to know the second-string running back for the Oakland Raiders if McFadden goes down or keep up with Manning's injury reports. Why else would anyone watch a Bengals vs Browns game unless you had a fantasy player on one of those teams. Playing for fun (nothing at stake) is okay as there's always bragging rights but placing bets makes it that more interesting. Now you are really invested in a shitty game like the Bengals vs Browns. I love making bets and it doesn't have to be for money. I actually prefer to embarrass you instead.

Philip Rivers, my man-crush.

So these are my bets for week 1:

  • Bet #1 vs Thang (Pho Trailer Football Tres) - Pick the lowest scoring fantasy team among our league. Stakes: $5 per week
  • Bet #2 vs Thang (Pho Trailer Football Tres) - Heads up. Stakes: winner chooses the team name and icon of the loser for week 2
  • Bet #3 vs Peter (Barely Leaguel Money) - Heads up. Stakes: winner chooses the team name and icon of the loser for week 2
  • Bet #4 vs David (Barely Leaguel Auction) - Heads up. Stakes: winner chooses the team name and icon of the loser for week 2
  • Bet #5 vs Anh (Survival of the Fittest) - Survival league. Longest survivor chooses the name of the loser for the rest of the season, which will forever remain on their Yahoo profile.

Jahvid Best, my second man-crush. He's the guy everyone is scared of drafting but I predict a top 5 finish.

After writing all of my bets, maybe I was a little overzealous. I'm just really pumped for the season to begin. I really hope my teams do well this week or else it's going to look like I'm coming out of the closet on week 2. Let the chaos begin!

0 Reactions to this post

Add Comment

    Post a Comment