Saturday, November 5, 2011

////

Damn you Sony!

Back in 2004 when I moved into my house, I had bought a brand new Sony 55" LCD projection HDTV. A couple years later blue blobs started forming on the screen. WTF. I Googled it and apparently it was a known problem and everyone was having the same problem. So I contacted Sony and eventually I got the faulty optical block fixed free of charge. Done... or so I thought. In 2009 my parents moved into a new house and wanted a new TV so I gave them the Sony TV since I wanted an upgrade. Then recently the Sony TV started forming blue blobs again and even developed a big yellow oval in the middle. They had already replaced the optical block a year prior so this would be the third time it failed. Piece. Of. Shit. So I decided to contact Sony support via their online chat (I didn't feel like holding on the phone and I can leisurely browse the web simultaneously) and it went like this:

7:26 PM Connecting...
7:26 PM Connected. A support representative will be with you shortly.
7:26 PM Support session established with Luis.
7:26 PM Luis: Hi. Welcome to Sony Online Support. I'm Luis. Please allow me a moment to review your concern.
7:27 PM Luis: Thank you for waiting. I'm sorry that the TV is not displaying the images as expected. I'll be glad to assist you in this regard.
7:28 PM Customer: so what can you do about this problem?
7:28 PM Customer: i already had it replaced by sony years ago
7:28 PM Customer: now the same issue has occurred once again
7:29 PM Luis: I'm sorry to hear that.
7:29 PM Luis: I would like to assist you, but Sony believes that such concerns are best conducted with our dedicated customer service team.
7:29 PM Luis: Please contact them at (800) 222-7669.
7:30 PM Customer: terrible
7:30 PM Customer: luis, i hope you dont own any sony tv's yourself
7:30 PM Luis: I'm sorry; I do understand your concern.
7:30 PM Customer: bc they're terrible
7:31 PM Luis: Their hours of operation are: Mon-Fri 9:00am-8:00pm ET.
7:32 PM Customer: i don't feel like calling them
7:32 PM Customer: where do you live luis?
7:33 PM Customer: you can have my sorry sony tv, free of charge
7:33 PM Luis: We are located at Fort Myers, FL.
7:33 PM Luis: I'm really keen to help you.
7:34 PM Luis: However, Sony believes that such concerns are best conducted with our dedicated customer service team.
7:34 PM Luis: Please contact them and I'm certain that they will be glad to assist you in this regard.
7:34 PM Customer: it's okay. i rather smash the tv into little pieces with my hammer
7:35 PM Customer: i'm buying myself a samsung tv
7:35 PM Luis: I'm sorry; I do understand your concern.
7:37 PM Luis: I'm sorry to hear that. However, the issue should be resolved after contacting our dedicated customer service team.
7:39 PM Customer: goodbye luis. time to watch gossip girl one last time on my sorry sony tv before i smash it up.
7:39 PM Luis: I do understand your concern.
7:39 PM Luis: However, please contact them and I'm certain that they will be glad to assist you in this regard.
7:40 PM Luis: Goodbye and thank you for contacting Sony Online Support.
7:40 PM Luis has ended the session.

The sexy blue blobs.

The Sony lemon... in more ways than one.

Online support is useless. As of right now, the TV is just collecting dust in my parent's garage. I'll probably call customer service later to see what I can get. The lesson of the day: NEVER buy any Sony products.

1 Reaction to this post

Add Comment
  1. Mel said... November 6, 2011 at 9:59 AM

    That's amaaaaaaaazing... the GIANT yellow blob.

Post a Comment