Thursday, February 9, 2012

////

Jacob turns 6!

Jacob is now six years old. When parents talk about their kids getting older, you would get the usual "time flies" and "they grow up so fast" comments, which are all true, but for me... I say they get less innocent. He's older now, attending a public school where (we think) he's picking up bad habits. He talks back a lot more now. He teases Andrew more (it used to be the other way around). Quite frankly, he's becoming an asshole. Kind of harsh to call a kid that huh? I'm not saying that he is one, overall he's a good kid, but he's been acting up way too much lately. Him growing up is not sad to me. Him becoming a delinquent is.




In the beginning of the week I had threaten him with "3 strikes and you're out" meaning that if he were to get 3 strikes before his birthday, he wouldn't get to celebrate his birthday or get any gifts. Sadly, he got 3 strikes in two days. Oy. But he can't not have a birthday. (Yes, I realize that's a double negative but it somehow seems appropriate.) We gave him the opportunity to take a strike anyway if he was trouble-free for an entire day. He actually got close to getting a fourth strike but I tried hard to keep my patience, along with keeping him calm and not blowing it. I mean, we already had all of his gifts, one of which was a pain to find, so I didn't want to return them. That day came and went and the next morning, I had taken away a strike.


For Jacob's birthday, we came to his school to have lunch with him (minus Andrew since he was at his own school) and Lynn had reminded him that we were bringing burgers so she didn't pack him a lunch. But Jacob being Jacob, he forgot and went through the cafeteria line and himself got a hot plate. This wasn't the first time he forgot. (Current balance: $4) He got a tamale pocket? It tasted like lasagna. It was a little weird but he liked it, which is all that matters. He was very happy and energetic throughout his lunch break. No nonsense. That's the Jacob I know.

Jacob playing a racing game, of course.

So the festivities continued at night (since he redeemed himself) and he celebrated his birthday at Chuck E Cheese (again) with his cousins, aunt, uncles and grandparents. It was surprisingly busy for a school night, I can't imagine what it would be like on the weekend. Crowded like at a bar is bad but crowded with crazy, undisciplined kids is way worse. Nevertheless, Jacob had a lot fun and when asked if this was his favorite birthday, his reply was yes.

His profile pic. Straight mean muggin'.

3 Reactions to this post

Add Comment
  1. Hayden in the Middle said... February 11, 2012 at 7:50 PM

    "asshole"
    "straight mean muggin"

    You are hilarious

    (and yes, I found a solution to my iMac memory problems and am officially blogging again)

  2. Mel said... February 13, 2012 at 12:06 AM

    I call kids assholes all the time.

  3. JT said... February 14, 2012 at 10:35 AM

    It's about time Anh Vien. It only took you a year to fix it.

    How old are those kids Mel? I understand calling teenage kids a-holes but Kindergarteners?

Post a Comment