Monday, March 5, 2012

////

PSA: Cover your cough & sneeze

Once again, a child (Andrew) is sick in our household. It seems like we can't even go one month illness-free. Kids are full of germs and the way they are, I can see how easily it can be passed from one person to another. They pick their nose. They drool and slobber. Their hand hygiene is horrible. But the one thing I notice that's done incorrectly on a consistent basis is covering one's cough and/or sneeze. This applies to adults too.

My first public service announcement (PSA): How to correctly cover your cough and sneeze. So many times do I see people covering their cough or sneeze with their hands. I blame the school system for teaching such nonsense. I also blame them for the food pyramid that states you should eat a shitload of bread, pasta and rice. And you wonder why America is full of fatsos. Well... inactivity, laziness and no self control are also to blame. Even if the USDA (or some other government agency) created the silly food pyramid, I blame the schools for teaching it. But I digress, everyone should know how to correctly cover a cough and sneeze.

Rule #1: Don't use your fucking hands!

Rule #2: Cough or sneeze into anything else (tissue, napkin, junk mail, eviction notice).

Rule #3: If nothing is available, cough/sneeze into your elbow.

Rule #4: Wash your hands frequently. Don't spread your nastiness to anyone else.

Here's a poster from the CDC that depicts everything.



If I sound a little bitter, that's because I am. Raising three kids is tough enough but to have a sick kid (or kids) is exponentially worse. So please, if you see anyone using their hands to cover their cough/sneeze, teach them the proper technique. If you're short on time, just tell them Rule #1.

2 Reactions to this post

Add Comment
  1. Alexandra said... March 8, 2012 at 10:22 AM

    And what if you wear long sleeves while coughing/sneezing as per rule #3? Just joking. I totally agree especially when having continuosly ill kids at home. And to end, I thought that in warm weathers (like TX) there are no colds :(. Take care

  2. JT said... March 8, 2012 at 8:28 PM

    It may be rare to catch a cold in warm weather but my kids will somehow find a way to get sick. It's what they do best.

Post a Comment