Wednesday, July 13, 2011

////

What's in a name?

It's almost time to meet baby #3 (a month away) and we need to come up with a name. Honestly we haven't put much thought into it. Maybe it's because of the fact that it's our third child, a third boy. We're running out of boy names here.

A name is a big deal since you're stuck with it for the rest of your life, or until you're old enough to go to the courthouse and change it to something like Ochocinco. I'm not a fan of my own name. I don't like saying it. I don't like the way it sounds. But it's my name and I've learn to live with it. So when picking a name for my own child, I want to make sure it's a name that he will like and most importantly, meet most (if not all) of my criteria for a name.

Absolute Rules:

Rule #1 - No duplicates. If someone in the family or close friend already has that name, we cannot use it. This is problematic since we both have large families.

Rule #2 - The starting letter of the name cannot duplicate any of the previous kids. That means any "J" or "A" names are out.

Rule #3 - Universal spelling of a name. I want a name that has only one way of being spelled. People constantly misspell my name. Even Lynn's name gets hacked and written as "Linh" or "Lyn" (so gross).


Preferences (not absolute):

Rule #4 - Two syllable name. Anything more is too long to say. And a one syllable name like Jack (which I like) is just too short and won't have the ability for the next rule.

Rule #5 - Nickname ability. It's fun to have a nickname. Only your friends and family can call you by your nickname.

Rule #6 - Not a top 10/popular baby name. I have always liked the name Jacob but out of nowhere it became one of the top baby names. I blame those damn Twilight movies. This baby will definitely not be named Aidan, Aiden, Aden, Cayden, Caden, Kayden, Kaden, Braden, Brayden, Jayden, Jaden, Jadon, or Hayden.

Rule #7 - Common theme. Currently the boys have the common theme of having saint names. It would be nice to keep the trend going but I'm okay if it ends with the third baby.

Rule #8 - No bad association. Through life you meet a lot of a-holes and idiots and you wouldn't want to name your child after one. So I'll never name my son Steven (jerk) or BJ (silent farter). And I'll keep away from the obvious names like OJ and Adolf.

So with all of my rules (and Lynn's approval), I have come up with baby #3's name...

Tyson.

11 Reactions to this post

Add Comment
  1. Mel said... July 13, 2011 at 10:05 AM

    I heard of a family who named their daughters:

    Ashleigh, Britneigh & Courtneigh

    I WANT TO VOMIT

  2. Justin said... July 13, 2011 at 11:26 AM

    tyson tran. good name. nice pick jimmie

  3. JT said... July 13, 2011 at 12:15 PM

    Mel, I threw up a little bit in my mouth when I saw those names. I hope you don't personally know that family but if you do, tell them to name their fourth kid Daneigh. Well if it's a boy because giving that name to a girl would be plain crazy.

    And Justin, damn you!

  4. apes said... July 14, 2011 at 8:24 PM

    Hey Kaden is a COOL name! Mike Tyson bit Holyfield's ear & Tyson is also Nette & G's dog's name! I'm just saying...

  5. JT said... July 14, 2011 at 10:08 PM

    April, Kayden IS a cool name... that's why it's one of the more popular names out there. I'm going for less popular but not too weird.

    Well when you see Tyson, either the dog or baby, you can say "What's up dawg?" and it will be appropriate for both situations.

  6. hea said... July 15, 2011 at 11:01 AM

    aww what happened to vincent?

  7. JT said... July 15, 2011 at 12:10 PM

    Vincent is my second choice, keeping with the saint trend. I chose Tyson because I liked the name Ty but prefer a two syllable name and one that doesn't get misspelled (Tai, Thai). In the end, I will probably just call him Ty just like how Andrew is Drew.

  8. apes said... July 15, 2011 at 1:23 PM

    I like the "What's up dawg"...cute Jimmy, can't wait to meet him! Congrats on another addition to your clan! Ps...Our Kaden doesn't have a Y in his name :)

  9. Nanette Medrano said... July 15, 2011 at 2:01 PM

    Awww I like Tyson. G said Tyson is a bad*ss name for a kid. =) I call our Tyson "Ty" too. That or "bubba." hahah Let's set up a play date for our Tysons. JK. Can't wait to meet Ty!

  10. JT said... July 15, 2011 at 4:19 PM

    Dammit. I double checked myself on the spelling of his name too. I just broke my own rule (rule #3). At least I didn't seriously misspell it as Raiden.

  11. JT said... July 15, 2011 at 4:21 PM

    Nanette, I was going to call baby #3 "bubba" as well. What a coincidence.


    Just kidding.

Post a Comment