Monday, April 25, 2011

////

Easter weekend

It started with Good Friday where I went to a Catholic assisted living facility of all places and finished my work by noon. Hallelujah. I had one last, mandatory non-meat lunch with the family at Pearland Seafood (they should have kept their company name of Baytown Seafood but probably feared people questioning why a restaurant would be called Baytown Seafood in the city of Pearland). Anyway, this is our go-to for fried seafood and we always get the etouffee. Their french fries look very plain.. thick and yellow (no visible skin) but I really like them. Maybe it's the touch of seasoning they put on them or maybe it's because it's always hot and freshly fried that makes them good. They also serve some Thai dishes and hamburgers but we will probably never try those. It's like going to a steakhouse and ordering the fish. As for the rest of the day, I don't remember what happened as I'm too lazy to get up and ask Lynn but I'm sure it was quality time well spent.

Baytown/Pearland Seafood
★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆


Saturday we drove down to a beach house in Galveston where my cousin Peter had a birthday party for his son Parker. Get it? Peter.. Parker.. Peter Parker. And it so happens that he loves Spider-Man. My Spidey senses were going nuts with so much Spider-Man all around. As for Galveston, I haven't been since high school and after that day, I remembered why. It's the nasty brown water and seaweed. Lots of seaweed. So much seaweed that you had to walk over a huge mound of it to get to the water. But it was still fun. Makes me want to go to a beach that's not Galveston.

"Get out of the way boys, it's not your birthday."

Easter Sunday morning was spent at church. This is one of a few days that I can guarantee you that I'll be at mass. I think the same applied for roughly 70% of the people there as it filled to capacity. People actually overflowed outside the church. Luckily they had speakers outside. Would it count if you went to mass and stood outside the church but didn't hear the priest?

In the afternoon we had a get-together at Lynn's aunt house for what I like to call an apathetic Easter egg hunt. This sounds bad but I just didn't care. Been there done that? Our boys are relatively old but haven't reached my unenforced cut-off age of 6 years old. Or have a rule of not letting them go all at once and start them based on their age, youngest first. Needless to say, those first and second grade kids dominated and brought back literally a basket full of eggs. Jacob brought back four eggs. I would have been more pissed if Lynn's "older cousins" participated... the ones with the cracked voice and newly grown curly hairs.

The face of satisfaction... or is that defeat?

That night we decided to go out to eat. Our intention was to go eat at Gringo's but they were closed for Easter, along with many other places. So we decided on Lupe Tortilla. I'll start with the food. The chips and dip consisted of a liquidity, whole bean dip and chunky, spicy salsa. It was okay, I prefer Gringo's creamy green mysterious dip. For dinner, I got the chicken and beef fajitas. The flour tortilla was huge and awesome. The chicken was dry and the beef didn't look too good. Surprisingly the beef was pretty good, maybe a tad of the salty side. The grilled onions and tortilla made the meal for me though. The Spanish rice was nothing special and the beans I barely touched. Overall, the meal was decent. The service on the other hand was another story. We went to the newly opened Pearland location and if you ever end up there, do whatever you can to not get Chris as your server. Chris is an black girl (not guy) and sounds super friendly to the point it sounds fake (which is probably the case). First she messed up on Lynn's order (no beans and replace it with rice) and my order of beef and chicken fajitas (I initially only got beef). Lynn overheard the people sitting next to us and she messed up their order too! At the end of the meal, she overheard me talking to the kids about dessert (discussing with Jacob whether he wanted McD's sundae or cone) and she said, "You know the kids get a free dessert with their meals." Really? Okay. I think that only applies if you order the kids meals, which we didn't since they just ate off of us but I'll take it. They both got those huge rainbow popsicles the size of a baby's arm. All was forgiven and I tipped 20%.

Lupe Tortilla
★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

2 Reactions to this post

Add Comment
  1. Mel said... April 27, 2011 at 10:55 AM

    You got to regulate that Easter hunt for the sake of the KIDS! YOU HAVE to stagger when they can go to make sure it's an equal playing field. We let Luke and Hayden go for maybe 2 minutes before we let anyone else go... haha

  2. JT said... April 27, 2011 at 12:29 PM

    Oh yeah, I agree with you completely. It was more my lack of interest, severe apathy, that kept me from doing anything. I didn't even take pictures of them getting eggs. I was too busy sitting on the side doing nothing.

Post a Comment