Tuesday, April 5, 2011

////

Free food is all good

It must be a psychological thing but if food is free, there is a 99% chance that it will taste good. If anything, it will taste exponentially better than if you were to pay for it. I can't explain it... maybe it's just me... but I wonder if anyone feels the same way as I do.

Tonight I went to Smith & Wollensky for a dinner presentation on a medication. Usually I'd would only go if they offered CE credit (which they didn't as most people come solely for the free food) but I came to actually learn something. Unfortunately, it's quite impossible to learn anything while eating. I was too busy enjoying my food and hailing the waiter for another glass of red wine. In the end, I learned nothing new.

As for the food, I had low expectations going in since I got negative comments from a few others and the reviews online were so-so. The steaks were priced around $40 so how bad can it be? I ordered the filet mignon, medium-rare. I got a piece of meat that was medium, medium-well. The guy sitting next to me had his steak cooked well done, zero pink anywhere. Maybe that's the way he ordered it? I didn't want to be the pretentious asshole that points out that steaks should never be ordered well-done but I gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed the cooks messed up his steak as well. Being a tender cut of meat, it was good but nothing spectacular. If I had to actually pay for this meal, I want spectacular. The mashed potatoes were okay and I passed on the vegetables (unnecessary calories since I'm on a pseudo-diet). Overall, it was good but not worth it's price. Vic & Anthony's remains my favorite steakhouse.

Not my actual meal. I didn't want to be the guy who took a picture of his food as if I've never had a steak dinner before.

Smith & Wollensky
★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

2 Reactions to this post

Add Comment
  1. Edwin and Lilly said... April 7, 2011 at 10:57 AM

    hahaha, that's hilarious. I wouldn't listen to the speaker either, if I had a steak in front of me. =) -Lilly

  2. Mel said... April 10, 2011 at 7:13 PM

    I love our drug reps... because there are some weeks where my lunches are provided SOLELY by them.

    Although they like to go REALLY yummy sometimes and that doesn't always bode well for the dieter

Post a Comment