Tuesday, March 1, 2011

////

Banh mi (Vietnamese sandwich)... my way


Most of my food cravings come from either seeing it somewhere or hearing someone talk about it. The other day I stumbled upon a YouTube video of two guys (Tran Can Cook) talking about banh mi. Coincidentally they are from Houston. After watching that video, I really wanted some but then it dawned on me... why don't I just make it myself, the way I want it. I don't like the pickled carrots or diakon, and can live without the cucumber and jalapeno slices. I don't need the BBQ pork or any other fancy meat. All I really need is some good pate and the Vietnamese mayo, the key ingredient of making good banh mi.

My banh mi:
french bread (mini)
liver pate
Vietnamese mayo
cha chien (fried pork roll)
cilantro
dash of Maggi soy sauce (red top)

Vietnamese mayo recipe:
2 egg yolks
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp rice vinegar
[pulse together in food processor]
1 cup canola oil
[slowly drizzle in while running food processor]

The mayo had a vinegar smell that threw me off but it tasted really good. Other recipes I found said to add an additional 1 Tbsp of lemon juice or to use white vinegar instead of rice vinegar. Next time I make it, I'll probably experiment with leaving them out and see if it effects the taste. My thought was it was only added to act as a preservative but I could be totally wrong. And next time, I'm adding a fried egg. Nom Nom.

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆
(4 out of 5 stars)

0 Reactions to this post

Add Comment

    Post a Comment